The page covers some best practices when creating slideshows and galleries in order to get great results.
- On Flickr give all your photos a short but meaningful title – 3-7 words typically
- On Flickr choose tags that are short and meaningful and remember to place double quotes around tags that are more than one word e.g “South Africa”
- When displaying a medium size slideshow (picture width of around 500 px) on the ‘content’ part of the page then choose only landscape photos.
- When displaying a small size slideshow (picture width of around 200-250 px) on the ‘sidebar’ part of the page then choose either all landscape photos or all portrait photos.
- Only use the orientation=”landscape|portrait” setting for slideshows
- Only use the captions=”on|off” setting for slideshows
- Only use the size=”original” setting for galleries. Galleries can handles different sizes of photos well while slideshows cannot.
- If you have not got a Flickr API key then don’t set the “items” to a number bigger than 20. Flickr only returns the 20 most recent photos with the specified tag as its fetch photos using an RSS feed from Flickr
- If you have entered your Flickr API key then don’t set the “items” to a number bigger than 50. Flickr only returns the 50 most recent photos using the API – however if you want to fetch more than 50 photos then check out Slickr Flickr Pro
- Don’t use the size=”large” option unless you have checked that you actually do have “large” photos in Flickr for all photos you have tagged for the slideshow or gallery. The slideshow will display a ‘Not Found” slide for any photos that are not available at the large size.