Version 1.33 of Slickr Flickr, released 25th August 2011, has a few new features in both the standard and Slickr Flickr Pro editions. In the standard edition the focus was mainly on the periphery of the slideshow, gallery or galleria: controlling the amount of white space, and in the Slickr Flickr Pro edition the big new feature is ‘private photos’.
Setting The Bottom Margin
In earlier versions of Slickr Flickr there was a hard-coded bottom margin of 20 pixels plus an additional 40 pixels amount of vertical space allocated for the caption; not to mention a further 50 pixels of space allocated if descriptions=”on” as the description can be multi-line.
In this version the 20 pixels standard bottom margin has been removed. If captions=”on” then the 40 pixels for the single line caption has been reduced to 30 pixels and if captions=”off” then no additional margin is added.
So for non-captioned photos this reduces the whitespace at the foot of the slideshow by 60 pixels.
Moreover, you can now specify exactly how much whitespace you want by using the “bottom” parameter — my parameter naming has sunk to a new low 🙂
If you specify bottom=”20″ you have a 20 pixel margin which adds whitespace.
However, if you have non standard (letterbox) image sizes you might want to reduce the white space instead. In this case you can introduce a bottom margin of say bottom=”-30″ to trim some unused whitespace off the bottom of the area allocated for the Flickr photo.
In a nutshell, the excess whitespace has been stripped out, and if you need to make adjustments then use the ‘bottom’ parameter to make your slideshow sit comfortably on the page.
Private Photos (Pro Edition Only)
In the early summer Flickr moved from their own custom authentication to Open Authentication, as used by Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn et al. Slickr Flickr Pro users can now enter their Consumer Secret, Authentication Token and Authentication Secret in the Slickr Flickr Admin Panel and then have the ability to make authenticated calls to Flickr and fetch private photos.
To use the feature just add: private=”on” to the slickr-flickr command.
Click to see an example of fetching private Flickr photos
This release has a few minor improvements:
- Double and single quotes are no longer stripped when displaying captions containing Flickr titles and descriptions
- You can specify default ‘options’ for your galleria 1.2.3 settings on the Slickr Flickr Admin panel so you do not have to specify them on every galleria
- Start and Stop links are hidden for Galleria 1.0 if you set pause=”off”
- The Slickr Flickr Admin Panel has been updated with ‘metaboxes’ so you can close and hide the various panels: the idea here is that less is more. (more or less)
This release fixes the following bugs:
- Slickr Flickr no longer adds 40 pixels of whitespace beneath a slideshow when captions=”off”
- For Pro users the Slideshow LightBox display (slightbox) now uses the correct height parameter and hence the amount of white space beneath the image is no longer excessive. Please also note the amount of white space beneath the slideshow can now be tweaked using the ‘bottom’ parameter .